25 April 2013

Dodged a bullet

Figuratively.... (I think)

The SCSon is at an age where he has many activities and sometimes the timings between activities tend to interference fit.  Today was such a day.

He had a school band performance that would get out late.  He also had a presentation to give a couple hours after the performance, but before the band was scheduled to return to school.  The only way this could work is if I picked him up from the gig and accompanied him to the presentation.

The drive out to pick him up meant a several miles in rush hour traffic.  I checked the local traffic net; it was slow but smooth.  So I took the freeway and it was.  Slow in places, but traffic was up to the speed limit when I reached my exit.

I collected the SCSon and headed back to the freeway.  Rather than a series of hard left turns, I took the easy right to the onramp 1 mile West.  Entering the west bound freeway entry lane, we heard emergency sirens.  "I hear it but I do not see it" I said.  Then flashing lights appeared ahead between cars in front.  A police car exited off the westbound offramp, then sped around and took the eastbound onramp just behind us.

Just then the traffic report came on the radio reporting "All lanes blocked on the freeway just East" of the overpass we are now sitting on.   And we saw the flashing lights down to the right. 

 Local news story link  The linked story says they pulled the offenders over, but I strongly suspect they briefly shut down all lanes.  I took that very offramp less than 10 minutes prior!

As we proceeded West on the freeway towards event #2, Eastbound traffic was  at a dead stop for several miles.  Had I been caught in the Eastbound back up, We'd have never made the 2nd event. 

BTW, the linked story reports it as a road rage incident where both drivers had weapons.  Not nearly enough info to know who is right or wrong.  Story doesn't mention any shots fired.  Thus the title refers to dodging a bullet that would have killed the required event timing rather than any physical bullets.

Personally, I find when I'm carrying I drive more conservatively.  Someone cuts me off, I back off and give them wide berth.  The time delta is insignificant compared to the $$$ cost of even a clean self defense shoot.  Don't sweat it.  I sure as heck don't go waving a gun around!

Happy ending: Timings worked out tonight and the SCSon made it to both events. 

No comments: